God the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit participated in Creation
- Genesis 1:1-2 - In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
The Holy Spirit is the third Person in the Godhead
- Matthew 28:19-20 - 19Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as a Person who can guide you into all truth, not as an impersonal influence
- John 14:14-16 - 14If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. 15If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--17the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin (an influence cannot convict us)
- John 16:8 - And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
The Holy Spirit can feel grief or sorrow (you cannot grieve an influence)
- Ephesian 4:30 - And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
The Holy Spirit contends with us, leading us to do right (you cannot strive with an influence)
- Genesis 6:3 - And the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."
The Holy Spirit aids us and intercedes on our behalf with God
- Romans 8:26 - Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
The Holy Spirit has a mind
- Romans 8:27 - Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
The Holy Spirit inspired the writers of Scripture
- 2 Peter 1:21 - for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit filled Jesus Christ's life with power
- Matthew 3:16 - When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.
- Luke 4:18-19 - 18The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; 19to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.
- Acts 10:38 - how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him
The Holy Spirit transforms willing people's lives and empowers them to bear witness of Jesus Christ
- Ezekiel 36:26-27 - 26I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.
- Acts 1:8 - But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.