Why study the sanctuary? Isn't it just an obscure artifact from the time of Moses? Is it even relevant in our lives? Read on and find out!
God's plan of salvation is illustrated by the sanctuary
- Psalm 77:13 - Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; Who is so great a God as our God?
The purpose of the sanctuary
- Exodus 29:46
- Ezekiel 36:25-38
- 2 Corinthians 6:16-17
- Galatians 2:20
1. Separation experience - desire to be separated from sin
- Isaiah 1:16-18
- John 1:29
- Matthew 11:28
2. Dwelling experience - desire for God to dwell in us
- Isaiah 1:19
- John 1:14
- Matthew 11:29
- Adam and Eve committed sin
- Adam and Eve knew that they were naked and sewed fig leaves together (man's idea of covering their shame)
- Adam and Eve hid themselves from God
- God calls out to Adam (God is searching out after man)
- God knew where Adam was - God wanted to know why Adam was away from Him
- Adam said that they were naked and hid from God (even though they covered themselves) - they felt naked in the presence of God
- It doesn't matter how much we try to hide our sins - when we come to the presence of God, we feel that we have nothing to hide behind
- Are you spiritually naked? Do you try to hide things from God?
- Adam blamed Eve...
- Introduction to the Gospel
- God demonstrated the Gospel to Adam and Eve
- In the sanctuary, sinners killed sacrifice
- First time Adam and Eve experienced death
- We are the ones that killed our Savior - our sins killed Jesus
- Sinners naturally love sin and hate righteousness
- In order for God to change our heart, we had to see the consequences of our sin - true repentance is to hate sin and turn away from it
- Something had to die to cover our guilt and shame
- Man's part in making the sanctuary - man builds willingly (Exodus 25:1-7, Exodus 35:21)
- People rejoiced in giving offererings to build Solomon's Temple (1 Chronicles 29:9)
- Willing offers to build temple (Ezra 1:6)
- God's desire for the sanctuary - God does not force us to build the sanctuary
The true sanctuary exists in heaven
- Hebrews 8:5
- Hebrews 9:11
- Whatever Jesus did on earth for the salvation of man, that was the beginning
- If only Jesus' death was needed, the sanctuary would look different - would only need courtyard and altar for sacrifice
- 1 Corinthians 15:12-14 - what is Jesus' role in heaven now?
The study of the sanctuary is relevant in our lives!
- The knowledge of the sanctuary is not necessary to our salvation, but knowledge of the sanctuary will enhance our relationship with God