The Days of Creation Lesson 01 - Light
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void, and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then Gods said, "Let there be light": and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good, and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
Why did God make light first? Of all the things God could have made first in creation, He purposely chose to make light on the first day.
What is so significant about light? Let's turn to John 1:1-13 and John 9:5.
- According John 1:4, what is light equated with?
- Answer (highlight to read): Life
- According to John 1:9 and John 9:5, what is Jesus equated with?
- Answer: Light
Scripture tells us that Jesus is the light of the world and that He gives us life. Therefore, it is very appropriate that the first thing made in creation was light.
Let's turn back to Genesis 1:4
- According to this verse, what is the light divided from?
- Answer: Darkness
If light is equated with life, what can darkness can be equated with? Let's turn to Job 3:4-6.
- According to these verses, what can darkness be equated with?
- Answer: Death
Let's turn to Isaiah 29:18; Isaiah 42:7; and Isaiah 42:16.
- According to these verses, what can darkness also be equated with?
- Answer: Prison
Let's turn to Romans 6:23 and 1 Corinthians 15:56.
- According to these verses, what is sin equated with?
- Answer: Death
The Bible clearly shows that we are all living in darkness, that is to say, we are in bondage to sin and death. Yet, all hope is not lost!
Let's turn to Ecclesiastes 2:13-14.
- According to these verses, what is stronger - light or darkness?
- Answer: Light
Let's turn to 2 Samuel 22:29 and Psalms 107:10-14.
- According to these verses, who can save us from the darkness of sin and death?
- Answer: God
Let's turn to Isaiah 9:2; John 1:9-12; and John 12:46.
- According to these verses, how can we get out of the darkness?
- Answer: Through believing in Jesus Christ
Friend, can you now see how important light is? The only way to defeat the darkness is through the light of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!
Let's turn to Revelation 3:17-18.
- According to these verses, what did the Laodiceans think they have?
- Answer: The Laodiceans thought they were rich and wealthy
- According to these verses, why did Jesus counsel them to anoint their eyes with eye salve?
- Answer: So that they could see
Jesus rebuked the church of Laodicea because they did not realize that they were poor, blind, and naked. If you were blind, you cannot discern between darkness and light. If you cannot discern between spiritual darkness and light, then woe to you! (Isaiah 5:20)
One of the many miracles Jesus performed during His ministry on earth was to give sight to the blind. Read John chapter 9 for a good example. Jesus physically healed the blind man, but the Pharisees, in their spiritual blindness, could not see that Jesus was the Messiah.
We can only discern between darkness and light through our vision (Luke 11:34-35; Matthew 6:23). If we depend on our own strengths like the Pharisees did, we will also become spiritually blind and lost in the darkness. Jesus admonishes us to follow Him in the light.
Friend, we do not have to stay in the darkness! I believe that God created light first to remind us that we need Jesus first and foremost in our lives. We need to follow the light of Christ to be children of God. If we choose to abide in Christ, He will give us ultimate victory over the bondage of the darkness of sin and death!
Will you choose light or darkness?