The Second Coming
1. Jesus' return will be literal
- John 14:3 - "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."
- Acts 1:11 - ..."Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."
2. Jesus' return will be visible
- Revelation 1:7 - "Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen."
- Matthew 24:27 - "For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be."
- Matthew 24:30 - "Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."
3. Jesus' return will be audible
- Matthew 24:31 - "And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 - "16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord."
- Zephaniah 3:17 - "The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."
4. Jesus' return will be glorious
- Psalms 50:3 - "Our God shall come, and shall not keep silent; A fire shall devour before Him, And it shall be very tempestuous all around Him."
- Revelation 6:14-17 - "14Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place. 15And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, 16and said to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?"
- Matthew 16:27 - "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."
- Matthew 25:31 - "When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory."
- Revelation 5:11 - "Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands..."
5. Jesus' return will be final and mark the end of earth's history
- 2 Peter 3:10 - "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up."
- Revelation 22:11-12 - "11He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still. 12And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work."
- Isaiah 25:9 - "And it will be said in that day: 'Behold, this is our God; We have waited for Him, and He will save us. This is the Lord; We have waited for Him; We will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.'"